Second-career teachers and tech
Prove me wrong, but I wanted to record this: General rule of thumb is younger teachers = more tech-savvy and tech-enthusiastic; older teachers = less tech-savv and tech-resistant (possibly with good reason, I hasten to add).
OK: possible exception to the rule is second-career teachers. In that case, older teachers might be more tech-savvy (possible exposure from previous career) and -enthused (tend to be more mission-driven than young teachers and not as jaded as first-career older teachers; are coming to the classroom fresh and are eager to get their heads around kids these days).
I have some data points on second-career teachers: PD (pharmaceutical industry vet), DZ (Coke, yes?), KM (flight attendant, office work), more...?
I have no data point on YOUNG second-career teachers -- would be interesting to see if they display a diff trendline.
OK: possible exception to the rule is second-career teachers. In that case, older teachers might be more tech-savvy (possible exposure from previous career) and -enthused (tend to be more mission-driven than young teachers and not as jaded as first-career older teachers; are coming to the classroom fresh and are eager to get their heads around kids these days).
I have some data points on second-career teachers: PD (pharmaceutical industry vet), DZ (Coke, yes?), KM (flight attendant, office work), more...?
I have no data point on YOUNG second-career teachers -- would be interesting to see if they display a diff trendline.

1 Comments:
I am 56 years old and have been teaching for 33 years.
http://www.bland.k12.va.us/bland/rocky/gap.html
Maybe you can fit that somewhere into your assumptions. Perhaps, I should assume that younger teachers while quite tech savy, are unable to read and write.
John Dodson
Post a Comment
<< Home